- Go over Titrations and Buffers Qu-est and do corrections.
- Term 2 final average.
- I will be able to predict whether a precipitate will form or not.
- Do: Worksheet “Solubility Problems” #5-6 are based on today’s topic. #1-4, 7-8 are based on the last lesson. #9-12 are based on section 17.1 (common ion effect) and #13-14 are based on titrations that form a precipitate.
- Next class: Challenge activity–find the Ksp of of PbI2.
- And since we didn’t have time to listen to the Science Love Song, here it is:
- Go over Lab 20B.
- I will be able to calculate the pH and pOH of a substance.
- In class: POGIL “Calculating pH” See copy of it here: 34 Calculating pH-S
- Read sections 7 and 11 in your workbook. Do: #49 and 50.
2. Prelab 6B. See copy of the lab here: Lab 6B Note changes to the lab:
a) Use 45.0mL of 0.60M Na2CO3 and 30.0mL of 0.40M CaCl2.
b) Prelab format: Title, Purpose, Materials, Procedure (summarize using pictures and words), Data and Observations table
c) Prelab questions:
- Write a balanced chemical equation for the reaction you will be doing in the lab.
- Calculate the number of moles of Na2CO3 used.
- Calculate the number of moles of CaCl2 used.
- Which is the limiting reactant? Prove it by calculating the amount of precipitate formed.
3. Finish questions from sections 1-3 (last class) in your workbook.
- Happy Valentine’s Day! Here is a Science Love Song for you:
2. Acid Base Study Guide of multiple choice questions. Here is the link to the whole study guide with the answers at the end. Note: #7 answer should be C: http://mrsimmsonlineclassroom.wikispaces.com/file/view/03+Acid+Base+Study+Guide+-+Multiple+Choice+_Chem+12+Unit+IV_.pdf
3. Lab 20B Analysis. Here are discussion notes from block 1: Lab 20B Review
4. There will be a Lab 20B quiz next week.
- Hand out Unit VII Learning Log. See a copy of it here: Unit VII Stoichiometry Learning Log
- I will be able to use the mole ratio to show the relationship between particles.
- Read section VII 1-3.
- Do: #2, 7, 17, 20
- Reminder: any assessments for Term 2 are due by Thurs. Feb 16
- Warm Up questions!
- Go over Self-Test worksheet answers
- Do: Lab 20B. Rank the 13 solutions from strongest acid to weakest acid.
- Check your Term 2 progress report. Make sure you are up to date. Any term 2 assessments are due by Thurs. Feb. 16.
- I will post a test outline soon! Check back this weekend.
- Have you hand in Lab 5C yet?
- Today, students wrote the Unit VI Balancing Equations and Types of Reactions test.
- Reminder: if you have assessments for term 2, you have until Thurs. Feb 16 to complete it. (Completing it earlier is better!)
- Hand in Lab 20G
- Go over ch17 review worksheet (the questions we can do so far). See answer key here: Ch17 review worksheet answer key and class notes from block 4 here: Titrations Review. Here is also the answers to the titration practice problems worksheet (the handwritten one): TITRATION PRACTICE PROBLEMS ANSWER KEY
- Sample AP Questions from 2000 and 2014. Check the answer key yourself online!
- Mid-Ch17 test postponed to Tuesday. There will be no retest for this, so be prepared!
- For those of you who are checking ch17 textbook answers, you can find them online here: cfile23.uf.tistory.com/attach/157C794C514A8FBB014C8C (I hope it’s a reputable site)
- Test outline: As I am finalizing the test outline, I think it will be more of a qu-est, with the option of retesting topics at the end of the chapter. I would like to have at least one main question on buffers and one main question on titrations, both having smaller parts to it. It will be all written, no mc.