- Hand in ch17 notes and review WS (marked and corrected!)
- Students wrote the ch17 test today.
- If you have any assignments to hand in for Term 2, they are due by Feb.28.
- Go over questions to ch17 review worksheet. The answers are posted in last day’s blog.
- Test outline: all written; major topics covered: 1-3Q’s on titrations, 1Q selective ppt, 1-2Q’s Ksp, 1Q buffer
- If you are interested in writing the Chem13 News contest, please look at their website, look at the Q’s on previous contests, and then register with me if you are interested. See website: https://uwaterloo.ca/chemistry/about-chemistry/community-outreach/chem-13-news-past-exams-and-answers
- There are some topics that we did not go over: Titrations at the mid-point of the titration (half way to the equivalence point), Complex Ion Formation, Amphoterism, and Selective Precipitation.
- See class notes here: Other Things to Note in Ch17
- Hand in Lab 16D
- Finish ch17 notes and review worksheet. See answers here: Ch17 review worksheet answer key
- Reminder: Ch17 Test on Friday
- Video: “Science Love Song” – Happy Valentine’s Day!
2. Do: Lab 16D. For each DIFFERENT precipitate, write a formula equation, complete ionic equation, and net ionic equation.
3. Finish ch notes and review WS.
Mon – will finish some topics I skipped over
Wed – go over ch review WS
Fri – Ch17 Test
- Go over Solubility Worksheet answers. See answers here: Solubility Worksheet Answers
- I will be able to predict whether a ppt will form or not using the Solubility Table.
- Do: Prelab 16D – predict whether a ppt will form or not. Give the identity of the ppt. Prelab 16D
- Do: start ch17 review worksheet. Ch17 test will probably be during the week of Feb. 19. ch17 worksheet
- Note: Retests for Ka, Kb, and Salts test will be after school on Thurs. Feb.15
- Hand in Lab 20G if you haven’t already.
- I will be able to calculate Ksp questions. We finished filling in the study guide. See block 6 notes here: Ksp Study Guide
- Reminder: Goal Day on Wednesday. See me if you are planning on writing a retest. Otherwise, you are welcome to drop by for tutorial help, etc…
- Do: Read ch17 and do the worksheet #1-9 (odd numbers), 13
- Do: Ka, Kb, and Salts test corrections
- Finish Lab 20G calculations and hand in.
- Intro to Ksp and solubility. See block 6 notes here: Ksp Study Guide block 6
- Do: Part 3 for Lab 20G – find the molar mass of a weak monoprotic acid.
- Do: Part 4 for Lab 20G – find the Ka of a weak monoprotic acid (HX). You measured the pH of the acid (which is the equilibrium concentration of H+). From the titration, you will find the initial molarity of the acid. By knowing these two pieces of information, calculate the Ka of the acid.
- For extra help, you can get help from the TNT tutors.
- Hand in Lab 20C part 1.
- Do: Lab 20G Part 1 to make a standard solution of oxalic acid dihydrate and Part 2 to standardize the NaOH solution.
- Do: Find the molarity of oxalic acid you made.
- Do: Find the molarity of the NaOH solution.
- Do: have the prelab for Parts 3 and 4 ready for next class.
- Lab 20C Part 1 – Calculate the [HCl].
- For Friday: Do the prelab for Lab 20G, parts 1-4. You need to have AT LEAST parts 1 and 2 done for Friday. If your prelab is not done, you will not do the lab until it is complete. See copy of lab here: lab 20G
- Changes to Lab 20G:
- Part 1 – make 100.00mL of 0.0500M oxalic acid dihydrate.
- Part 2 – omit step 1. You do not need to store the base in bottles as we have a giant carboy of NaOH.
- Part 2 – use 10.00mL pipettes (instead of 25.00mL)