- Activity: Cow’s eye dissection. See copy of handout here: Cow Eye dissection from the Exploratorium. Complete the questions. Draw a picture of the interior and exterior of the eye and label the parts you can see.
- Progress report and Work habits self-evaluation and goal setting sent home. If you are missing assignments, tests, or have an “I” standing and need to complete it, work on it during Spring Break and see me when we return back to school.
- Today, students wrote the chapter 1 test (Cells and the Microscope).
- Check last day’s blog for the list of assignments you should have completed and handed in for chapter 1. If you still need to complete them, try to finish them by the end of this week.
- Do: read over the Cow’s Eye Dissection handout. See copy here: Cow Eye dissection from the Exploratorium. We will be doing the lab next class. You can answer some of the questions before you do the lab! See this website for a “virtual” lab, video, and extra info: https://www.exploratorium.edu/learning_studio/cow_eye/
You can bring your own gloves if you’d like.
If you cannot be in the room when we do the lab, please talk to me before your lab day so I can prepare and alternative assignment for you. It will be from your textbook: p.235 Natural Vision Systems – you will be doing “Report Out” #1a where you will make a Venn diagram comparing the vision systems of a creature of your choosing to that of a human. For ideas of what kinds of creatures to choose, see here: http://thescienceexplorer.com/nature/12-coolest-eyes-animal-kingdom
- Go over section 1.3 worksheets.
- Quizlet: a resource to help you practice/study (especially good for vocabulary) https://quizlet.com/102927827/bc-science-8-chapter-1-flash-cards/
- Make your study card. Only one side of the card is allowed!
- Reminder: Next class: ch1 test. There will be about 30 multiple choice questions (bring a pencil) and a written section. Major topics: characteristics of living thing; how to use a microscope; cell parts and functions; diffusion and osmosis
- Reminder: Cow’s Eye Dissection next week. See handout here: Cow Eye dissection from the Exploratorium
What you should have completed and handed in so far for Term 3:
section 1.1 worksheets
section 1.2 worksheets
Cell Comparison handout
Onion Cell Lab
Gummy Bear Lab
- Finish making the measurements for the Gummy Bear lab and answer the questions. How does this show osmosis and diffusion?
- Read section 1.3 and do the worksheet pages for section 1.3.
- Next class: we will mark the sec.1.3 worksheet pages and make small study cards. Next week, we will have the chapter 1 test and then do the cow’s eye dissection.
and review from last class on diffusion:
- Hand back chapter 6 tests. If you have an “I” standing, please come see me to do your test corrections.
- Mark section 1.2 worksheets.
- I will be able to explain diffusion and osmosis.
- Activity: Gummy Bear Lab – Day 1. See copy of lab here: gummi bear lab . We will complete the lab next class.
- Heads up! Ch1 test next week. (Block 8 test on Tuesday, March 10 and Blocks 3 and 4 test on Wed. March 11.
- Heads up! Cow’s Eye Dissection next week. (Block 8 dissection on Thurs. March 12 and Blocks 3 and 4 dissection on Fri. March 13.)
- Activity: Onion Skin Cell Lab. Draw a picture of 2 of the onion cells you see and make the 4 microscope observations.
2. Next class, we will mark the section 1.2 worksheet pages.
3. Make sure you are up to date with your term 2 assessments (no blanks or “I” incompletes on your progress report!)
- Activity: in small groups, compare how the cell is similar to…..(your choice!). For example, how is a cell like a school? What would be the nucleus of the school? What would be the mitochondria? Etc….
- Finish sec 1.2 worksheets for next class.
- Finish any assessments for Term 2 by Thursday.
- Reminder: I am available Monday and Tuesday after school and during Flex time (Thursday and Friday) if you need to complete any assignments, write tests, ask questions, etc…
- Mark section 1.1 worksheets and hand in.
- I will be able to explain how the body is organized from cells to body systems
- I will be able to identify the parts and function of the cell organelles.
- Read section 1.2. This section is written using an analogy, where you compare one thing to another. They compare the parts of the cell with the Newo colony. Think about how the parts of the cells are similar to things in your life.
- Do: Cell Coloring sheets to help you identify the parts and function of the cell. Make Column notes from the information you read. Animal and Plant Cell Coloring pages
- Do: Start section 1.2 worksheets (not due yet) – see previous day’s blog for the worksheets.
- Students received a term progress report of what they have covered so far. The ch6 test is still being marked (hence the blank). If you have an “I” (incomplete) or a blank space, you need to complete these asap. Tues. Feb. 25 is a Goal Morning. Come in to complete them
- Assessments for Term 2 are due by Thurs. Feb 27.
- Today, students in block 8 wrote the ch6 test on Vision and the Eye.
- Homework: finish the worksheet pages for section 1.1. See previous day’s blog for a copy of the worksheets if you do not have one, or email me for a copy.
- Hand back ch6 worksheets. You will be allowed to use a small study card (half the size of the study card you used for chapter 5) for the test. See test outline here: Chapter 6 Test Outline
- Reminder: ch6 test on Tues. Feb 18 (block 8) and Wed. Feb.19 (blocks 3 and 4). Outline of the test: about 25 multiple choice questions (bring a pencil!) and a few short answer questions and a diagram (what do you think the diagram will be?)
- I wil be able to make microscope measurments. See handout here: Microscope Activities 2020 and How to Use the Microscope and Microscope Measurement
- Do: Insect Body Part diagram and microscope measurements.
- HW: Study for ch6 test!
- Finish Microscope worksheet from last class.