For the summer assignment, you will keep your textbook and solutions book over the summer. For those of you who prefer an ebook version, you can search for one online.
You will cover ch13 on Colligative Properties, Photoelectron Spectroscopy (PES), and review material from Chem11/11H for the coming year. In September, we will do a quick review of the units and then start right away on the AP Chem12 curriculum (chapter 14-17, 19-20; skip chapter 18).
If we continue with some form of online learning in September, make sure you communicate well and communicate often! Email works well until new classes are set up for September in Teams/OneNote.
General Instructions: Chem 11H Summer Assignment 2020
A. Chapter 13 – Colligative Properties. This chapter technically isn’t really tested on the AP exam BUT it reviews and applies a lot of concepts you have learned this year (moles, molarity, periodic trends, IMFs). It is really good for enrichment.
- Read Ch.13 and make your own study notes.
- Tutorial video to help support your learning:
3. Do: Ch13 Review Worksheet here: ch13 review worksheet and answer key. Mark it using the answer key. Make note of things you don’t understand or questions you want to ask. Do your corrections, identifying what your error was. Remember that I am looking to see what you learned, not just what the right answer is.
B. Photoelectron Spectroscopy (PES) –this ties in quantum theory and periodic trends.
- Read the PES Powerpoint: PES powerpoint
- Watch the tutorial video to support your learning:
and summary from Khan academy: https://www.khanacademy.org/science/chemistry/electronic-structure-of-atoms/electron-configurations-jay-sal/a/photoelectron-spectroscopy
C. Review concepts from Chem11/11H: If you are joining AP Chem12 and took regular Chem11 or took Chem11H with Ms Ingratta, look through chapters 1-11 in your textbook and make sure you have learned all the topics there. If you haven’t yet, you will need to learn those chapters before continuing with AP Chem or you will find yourself a bit lost and unprepared.
- Memorize the ion charges, polyatiomic ions, solubility table, and periodic trends.
- Do sectional reviews of the chapters covered last year and mark your work. Note: we did not cover ch12.
D. Get ready for next year: Download resources that will be useful for your AP exam. A good place to start is the AP Central website: https://apcentral.collegeboard.org/courses/ap-chemistry/exam
Any Q’s? Email me. I will check more often from mid-Aug onwards.