- Warm up! Do Question 3.29 on the ch3 review WS
- Finish Lab 6B by: a) weighing your sample, b) answer Q’s and Calculations #1-6 (communicate clearly!), c) what are some possible sources of error? and d) conclusion
- Begin ch3 Review WS (due Monday) and finish ch3 notes (due Friday)
- Ch3 Test on Friday, Dec. 22
- Do: Lab 6B (day 1). Use 45mL of Na2CO3 and 30mL of CaCl2
- Do: Worksheet “Molarity”. See intro notes here: MolarityConcentration. See answers here: 28 Molarity-Answers
- Extra practice: Worksheet “Limiting and Excess Reactants”. See answers here: 24 Limiting and Excess Reactants – Answers
- Finish reading ch3 and do practice questions I have assigned already!
- Warm Up! Combustion Analysis to find the Empirical Formula. See class notes here (the sample question is at the very bottom): Empirical and Molecular Formulas Day 2
- I will be able to use mole ratios (stoichiometry). See block 4 notes here: Stoichiometry (Mole Ratios)
- Do: Read section 3.6 and do #55, 57, 59 and #65-77 (odd numbers)
- Do: Prelab for Lab 6B. See copy here: Lab 6B. Prepare from Title to Data Tables for next class. This lab will take 2 days. We will do Day 1 on Friday and finish the lab on Tuesday next week.
- Video on Stoichiometry:
- Hand in Lab 4B
- Warm Up!
a) How much does C6H12O6 weigh if there are 3.57 X 1028 atoms of oxygen in total?
b) How many atoms of hydrogen are in 5.00g of octane, C8H18?
3. I will be able to determine the empirical and molecular formula of a compound. See block 3 notes here: Empirical and Molecular Formulas
4. Read section 3.5 and do #35-49 (odd numbers)
- Fizz Quiz on Mole Calculations
- Did you hand in your Term 1 Reflections?
- Finish Lab 4B. Do: Questions and Calculations #1-5 on p.57, Possible Sources of Error, and Conclusion
- Hand in signed interim reports.
- Do: Lab 4B Day 1 – you will keep the Cu(s) made and Fe nails used until next class so they have time to dry. We will weigh them next class.
- Fill in the Term 1 self-reflection and hand in to me.
- In the meantime, at home, continue to do as many practice mole questions that you can.
- Read Lab 4B and prep the set up for the lab. You will need to summarize the procedure and set up data tables to collect information. See copy of lab here: Lab 4B
- Go over balancing and types of reactions test and do corrections.
- Bring home interim reports, have your parent/guardian sign them, and return them to me.
- What did you learn from the worksheet “relative mass and the mole”?
- I will be able to calculate the mass or number of particles using the mole. See block 4 notes here: The Mole and the Mole Wheel
- Video: How big is the mole?
- Students wrote the Balancing and Types of Reactions Qu-est (quiz/test)
- Do: answer the questions in the worksheet “Relative Mass and the Mole”. See copy here: 22 Relative Mass and the Mole-S
- Hand in Lab 5C
- Go over ch2 tests and do test corrections. If you want to retest the written section, you need to do your test corrections, come after school to do some practice worksheets, and come on Goal Day, 10:30-11:30am.
- Do: Pre-test and mark it
- Next class: test on balancing equations and types of chemical reactions